Thursday, April 22, 2010

AJ’s Meatloaf

Growing up we never had meatloaf because my father did not like it, so I did not discover it was one of my favorite comfort foods until a couple of years ago.  I got a recipe from a friend's grandmother and tweaked it a little to my liking and this is what I came up with.  I like it best with creamy mashed potatoes and gravy.

AJ’s Meatloaf

2 t Tabasco Sauce
½ c Ketchup

2 lbs Ground Beef
1 lb Italian Sausage, casings removed and crumbled
1 c Onions, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, Minced
2 c Bread Crumbs
½ c Red Wine
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T Worcestershire Sauce
2 t Dried Basil
2 t Dried Oregano
1 ½ t Salt
1 t Ground Pepper
½ t Allspice

Preheat oven to 350°F

Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan

Mix together Tabasco sauce and Ketchup

Mix together all remaining ingredients in a large bowl
Place mixture in loaf pan
Spread Ketchup mixture on top of meatloaf

Bake 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 155°F.

Tips:
  • For moist meat loaf do not use lean ground beef.
  • You can substitute meatloaf mixture for the ground beef if you like (1 lb ground Beef, ½ pound ground Pork, ½ pound ground Veal).
  • If you want the meatloaf to have a kick, you can use spicy Italian Sausage.
  • I prefer to use a stoneware or glass loaf pan, if you use a metal one, check after 45 minutes to make sure it does not dry up.

No comments:

Post a Comment